The Atlanta Doula Blog
Blogging about all things pregnancy, birth, and postpartum
The Atlanta Doula | Top 5 Hospital Bag Must Haves
Do you have any suggestions for what to pack in my hospital bag?
This is one of the most common questions I get as a doula. And for good reason. Not only do you have to plan for yourself during a 1-3 night hospital stay, but you'll also need to plan for the new human you'll be bringing home as well!
Here are my Top 5 hospital bag must haves:
1. Your own pillow, in a brightly colored pillow case- If there is nothing else you bring to the hospital, please bring your own pillow. Picture this: you're sitting on your birth ball, leaning over the hospital bed, rocking your way through a contraction. What would you rather have your face buried in? A small, flat, crunchy hospital pillow OR your own comforting pillow that's soft, fluffy, and smells like your home? I think we both know the answer to this question. I always also recommend to my clients that they bring the pillow in a brightly colored pillow case to avoid the pillow being mistaken for a hospital pillow.
2. SNACKS! For mom and her partner- Your food options may be limited depending on the time of day that you're in labor. If it's the middle of the night there may be no take-out options and the hospital cafeteria may be closed, leaving you with very limited choices for meals and snacks. Here are some of my favorite snack options for laboring moms (and postpartum moms!) that partners may also enjoy: single serving almond (or other nut/non-nut) butter packets, freeze dried fruit, granola bars, easy to eat fruits such as bananas and clementines, applesauce cups, and trail mix. I also recommend bringing your own drinks such as apple and cranberry juice and homemade "laborade."
3. Lip balm and face moisturizer- Hospitals are often very dry and chapped lips and a dry face are the worst! Bring along your favorite moisturizing products for a quick refresher anytime during your hospital stay. My personal favorite face moisturizer right now is Skin Drink from Lush and my favorite lip balm is Jersey Shore Sun Mongongo Lip Conditioner.
4. A nursing bra and nursing tops- These are SO important and often overlooked. I highly recommend packing a nursing bra and a few nursing tanks or tops. These tops are often flowy and super comfy, but are easier to move around in than hospital gowns. It also makes it easier on your if you have visitors postpartum. Latched Mama makes gorgeous nursing tops, dresses, and pajamas.
5. Postpartum care products- While your hospital may provide with some postpartum products like a peri bottle, sitz bath, and possibly Dermoplast spray, you may certainly want to bring your own products! I highly recommend the items from Earth Mama Angel Baby like the New Mama Bottom Balm and New Mama Bottom Spray along with their bath herbs.
So there you have it- My Top 5 hospital bag must haves! What did you have packed in your hospital bag? Any items that you couldn't have lived without?
Atlanta birth and postpartum doula, childbirth educator, cloth diaper expect, yoga enthusiast, and baby snuggler.